The Marieb College of Health & Human Services (MCHHS) at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) invites applications for a faculty member to join the college as the inaugural Director of Interprofessional Simulation and Emerging Technology. This individual will serve as the leader for innovative strategies for digital and immersive learning across all of our academic units, fostering Interprofessional education (IPE). This individual will also lead scholarship activities around innovative technologies. The Director will lead the MCHHS faculty and staff through pedagogical activities including simulation and virtual reality and coordinate research on the effectiveness of the innovative technologies in enhancing student learning.
Currently, the college has approximately 1500 sq ft of simulation space. In the current structure there are some redundancies in the delivery of education. With a new building (AB 10) in the planning phase and support from their largest benefactor, the college is investing in interprofessional simulation and the exploration and implementation of emerging technologies across all MCHHS disciplines, assisting the faculty in the delivery of health care to the community and beyond.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to be excellent teachers; be responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including eLearning and accelerated instructional programs; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the college, university, and community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
This position will promote innovative activities to enable our students to:
- Foster interprofessional collaboration in teaching and leaning
- Identify emerging technologies that further promote teaching and learning
- Provide cutting edge evidence-based care.
- Responsible for all activities of interprofessional simulation for the MCHHS, which includes but not limited to planning, operations, budgeting, and research activities
- Lead the development of goals for interprofessional simulations for the MCHHS and identify methods to measure success
- Evaluate staffing needs and collaborate with all entities within the college
- Evaluate existing and emerging technologies to ensure cutting edge teaching and learning
- Foster collaboration and reduce redundancy in the delivery of educational experiences
- Foster interprofessional research related to the delivery of simulation and other innovative technologies
- Identify potential alternative revenue streams including submission of grants
- Must value continued scholarship and service to the college, university, community, and profession
Additional Job Description
- Earned doctoral degree in a health-related discipline
- Certified in simulation through Society for Simulation in Healthcare Certification Council
- Additional master’s degree/certification(s) in education and pedagogy
- Experience teaching courses relevant to aging/gerontology.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in eLearning & university teaching; interest in collaborating both within and outside the university in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning
- Established research agenda with evidence of extramural funding
- Demonstrated record on simulation research
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of established skill competency, based on the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL) and Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH) guidelines and standards
- Knowledge of Healthcare Simulation Standards of Best PracticeTM
- Ability to engage productively with faculty across disciplines
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 12-month multi-year appointment basis available May 2023.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research including Simulation
- Five (5) Professional References
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by March 30, 2023 will receive priority consideration.
Salary commensurate with education and experience