Program Director, Center for Human Simulation
At Polk State, our amazing faculty and staff create an inspiring workplace. This professional managerial position reports to a Dean of Nursing and is an excellent opportunity within the College’s Nursing department. We offer a collaborative, creative and culturally diverse work environment. If you want to be supported in your efforts to grow professionally and to be recognized for your contributions, thencome work for Polk State.
About The Position
This is a professional managerial position reporting to the Dean of Nursing.
The Director of the Center for Human Simulation is responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of simulation-based and artificial intelligence interface needed for contemporary student learning and point-of-care decision-making. The Director ensures a genuinely functional and positive relationship between and among faculty and the Simulation Specialists in matters of scheduling, course enrichment, and competency measurement. The Director oversees and establishes preventive maintenance and quality control processes that impact the budget and strategic planning initiatives of the College.
Clinical SupportAnalyzes curricular opportunities for in-class and in-Center learning for each academic program and level.Fosters the optimal and creative use of simulation, including skills development, clinical management of patients, and scenario readiness.Conducts simulations and supports debriefing sessions.Create back-up learning options in case of power outage or other catastrophic events.Promotes interprofessional experiences to strengthen professional nursing identity and mutual respect for role differentiation.Catalogue scenarios for easy access to benefit faculty and student teaching/learning.Partners with clinical agencies to share resources: human, material, and space.Develops performance metrics to capture equipment and room optimization, learning achievements, and workforce readiness.Supports faculty in the conduct of student performance evaluations; coaches and complements classroom and clinical needs.Maintains knowledge of clinical trends and issues, with an emphasis on evidence-based practice.
Center Development and Management
- Creates an inclusive environment with internal and external partners to develop the Center’s mission, purpose, and goals.
- Seeks grant, philanthropic, and other funding to mature the Center’s presence as a best-practice model.
- Incorporates standards from the Society for Simulation in Healthcare into operational practices.
- Ensures preparation of the Center’s lab space according to negotiated schedules.
- Ensures that all faculty and Simulation Specialists adhere to learner experiences that are psychologically safe and have resource support available during and following learning encounters.
- Actively engages with other health disciplines and peripheral specialty areas, ie., informatics, business, sciences, to anticipate applications in nursing education and healthcare practice.
- Creates forums for teaching and learning opportunities to advance faculty and staff development, and community engagement.
- Markets the Center to attract new students to Polk State College in formal and informal ways; partners with college marketing staff.
- Develops and adheres to approved budgets.
- Oversee a preventive maintenance and quality control program to optimize the use of simulators, capitalize on contractual agreements, and analyze replacement costs.
- Participates in faculty and college-level meetings as assigned
- Engages in accreditation activities and supports student learning outcomes
- Oversees activities on both the Winter Haven and Lakeland campus
- Engages with clinical partners and overall nursing department strategic initiatives
- May perform select faculty duties based on need, ie., guest lectures, student orientation
This position is a level P16. To determine starting salary, Polk State College takes into consideration the pay level minimum, the candidate’s qualifications and internal equity factors.
- Expertise in program design, development, and evaluation.
- Exceptional ability to communicate orally and in writing – must be able to develop scenarios that are clinically relevant, support grant writing, and contribute to formal reports and accreditation standards.
- Exceptional skills in developing and implementing policies, procedures, schedules, and budgets.
- Cognitive and skill abilities to address high technology applications.
- Master’s degree in nursing or a related healthcare or technology career from a regionally accredited institution.
- Unrestricted nursing license or certification.
Five years teaching or academic-related functions; must have defined and demonstrated experience in applied simulation with a health emphasis.
We offer an excellent employer-paid benefits package including the following: Medical, Dental, Life, Long-Term Disability, Vacation (except faculty), Holiday and Sick Leave, Retirement (if eligible) and college fee waivers. Other employee-paid, voluntary benefits (vision, short-term disability, etc.) are also available.
- Application Requirements: A completed online application consists of:
- a resume,
- all required credentials
- an electronic job application (all sections completed).
Submissions that do not include all required information will not be considered.
- Background Screening: Reference checks, successful completion of a Level II background check (fingerprinting), and third-party Education Verification for all stated degrees will be required prior to employment.
- Non-Instructional/Staff Transcripts: For professional/salaried positions, uploading of unofficial transcript(s) (with confidential information redacted) during the application process is welcomed, but not required. However, please note that education verification will be completed, for all stated degrees, on or before an interview. Submission of official transcripts for Administrator positions (P17 and above), for all stated degrees, is required as a condition of employment, following receipt of a job offer.
- Foreign Transcripts: All international degrees must have their coursework evaluated in terms of U.S. “equivalency.” Polk State College requires that all international credential evaluations be conducted by one of the companies affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES®). More information about NACES® affiliates can be obtained at the NACES® website.
- Relocation: Polk State College does NOT provide relocation assistance for this position.
- This position will close at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 28, 2023
NOTE: We encourage applicants to provide feedback of their experience or request help at Careers@polk.edu.
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with State of Florida agency like Polk State College. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement and the date of your re-employment.
As a rule, Polk State College does not provide H1-B visa sponsorship. Exceptions may be made based on the College’s need for a candidate with unique skills and expertise and where the College cannot otherwise recruit and hire qualified non-sponsored candidates.
Polk State College is a drug-free workplace and participates in E-Verify.
Polk State College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution committed to excellence through diversity in education and employment. The College complies with all state and federal laws granting rights to students, employees, and applicants for employment or admission to the College. Polk State College does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, disability, or pregnancy in its programs, activities, or employment. For questions or concerns, please contact: Lonnie Thompson, Chief Diversity Officer; 999 Avenue H, NE; Winter Haven, FL 33881; Office: 863.292.3602 Ext. 5378; email@example.com.
Polk State College is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities. If you feel you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position with Polk State, please call 863-297-1070 or e-mail Careers@polk.edu and let us know the nature of your request, along with your contact information. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.